BlogLovin' Instagram Email Teachers Pay Teachers Pinterest Image Map

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Exercise and Respiration

LAB REPORT CO2

Today's lab is one of my faves!!

It was their first time seeing an indicator. 
AND the lab really works.  

PRE-LAB:
After a mini-lesson on respiration. And a review of information using brain pop....

The students head to the lab for my CO2 Lab. 

PART I: 
The students time how long it takes for the Bromythyl Blue solution (a CO2 indicator) to change from blue to yellow (due to the CO2 in their exhaling) by blowing bubbles in the container using a straw. (seen above)

Followed by a brief workout.
A minute of jumping jacks should do the trick. Or some jump-roping.

You want their heart rates up and heavy breathing (But not to the point they are gasping for air or exhausted or need to get a drink, they will then be too tired to blow through the straw for part II)

PART II:
The students time how long it takes for the Bromythyl Blue solution (a CO2 indicator) to change from blue to yellow (due to the CO2 in their exhaling) after they have exercised.  (Again they get the CO2 into the solution by blowing bubbles into it through a straw).

RESULTS:
The indicator really works! Before working out it took me 16 seconds to change the Bromythyl blue to yellow.  After working out it only took 6 seconds.

I need to head into fermentation tomorrow....does anyone have any good links?? I am really looking to make some connections to athletics.  

5 comments:

Kim said...

Hi Courtney!

Where are you located? Want to come to California and teach science?????

That investigation sounded GREAT!
(Your kids are lucky to have you.)

As I type this, you are ONE follower away from 100. That's awesome! If I knew a potential follower, I would send them over this very minute. I'll bet you'll reach the mark by tomorrow!

Enjoy your vacation... I hope you have plans for fun or relaxation or BOTH!

Kim
Finding JOY in 6th Grade

Barbara said...

YAY - I'm number 101, that's 100 plus me being inspired by your amazing ideas.... LOVED the book trees and the HEART work you're doing on bullying awareness.

Holiday cheer,

Barbara
The Corner On Character

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your blog! Thank you so much for posting such amazing activities and labs! I can't wait to try this lab with my 7th graders this spring!
Kate

A Middle School Survival Guide said...

@ Kim - Thanks for the compliments :)... coming to Cali sounds very tempting. haha Hope you had a wonderful break, too!

@Barbara - Yay! Thanks for being 101!! More bullying awareness posts coming soon...

@Kate- Thanks! Ooh, thats great to hear that you teach 7th too! Let me know how it goes if you get to use it!

Knight said...

Where can I find the lab in teachers pay teachers?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...